If you would like updates on the project, please sign up here.
Marsfield Common was a proposal by two community-based organisations, Eastwood Rugby and North Ryde RSL, to renew the TG Millner Field site by creating 132 low-rise, diverse homes and a new public park for the local community.
Regrettably, the TG Millner rugby fields are now largely unused. The privately-owned site is at risk of either overdevelopment or decline. Marsfield Common sought to best reconnect today’s community to the site through new neighbours, new local access, new opportunities, and new ideas.
The proposal included community benefits such as:
- new site-appropriate terrace houses of no more than 2 storeys;
- specifically designed parkland and recreational spaces open to the local community on 15% of the site;
- social purpose through the offer of a $5million key worker housing contribution to the community;
- more trees and landscaping, including tree canopy coverage of 65% of the site, and;
- state-of-the art digital innovation.
The Marsfield Common proposal was submitted to Council on 18 May 2022, addressing all the matters raised by Council officers in pre-lodgement discussions and was supported and praised by Ryde Council officers in the original planning stages. While Council officers worked to meet the timeframes set out in the relevant legislation, Ryde Council did not meet the statutory deadlines it was required to meet to consider the planning proposal. The proposal was subsequently submitted to the NSW Government via the Department of Planning and Environment for consideration by the relevant Sydney District Planning Panel in December 2022. The Panel refused the application on the basis of advice from Council that the site was likely to be acquired for public open space purposes in the near future.